For March ‘Show Your World’, I decided to take you to Moscow. If you saw any photos of Moscow, you’ve probably seen a photo of particularly outstanding buildings from Stalin’s era, usually referred to as Stalin’s high-rises. There’re seven of them around the city and two were planned but never built. One of such Stalin’s high-rises houses the main campus of the Lomonosov Moscow State University.
The university itself was founded thanks to Ivan Shuvalov (the first ever Russian Minister of Education, who worked a lot to improve the situation with education and arts) and Mikhail Lomonosov (Russian scientist, who definitely deserves a separate blog post – his life was just amazing, look him up, if I got you interested ;). They promoted they idea and finally got support of Russian Empress Elisabeth, who decreed its establishment on the 25th of January 1755. (Ever since, this date is celebrated as a Students’ Day in Russia).
Of course, the original main campus of the University was situated in a different building back then. The one you see above was built in 1953 on Sparrow Hills following Stalin’s order. This building used to be the tallest one in Europe till 1990. 240m tall, 36 floors, 5,000 rooms and 33km of corridors – impressive, isn’t it?
My sister recently visited the campus and tried not to get lost, navigating those endless corridors. She kindly sent me some photos to share – winter days are short, hence it looks like she’s been there in the middle of the night :)
Now let’s recap all the rules of Show Your World linkup, just in case you forgot or you’re totally new to this linkup and are thinking of participating:
- This is a monthly link up. The hosts will be posting prompts every 1st Friday of a month with a link up option.
- Girl Gone London is the co-host of Show Your World – please, leave your links over at her blog this month!
- Link up your post, old or new, about an interesting place you would like to share with us (can be anything, from your home town to a place you visited on vacation)
- Add Show Your World badge to the posts that you share with a link back to a host’s page
- Visit and comment on posts of both of the hosts and on at least two other posts, mentioning #ShowYourWorld tag in your comment, – let’s share love!
- Twit your link mentioning @tinyexpats, @girlsgonelondon and #ShowYourWorld and we will re-twit it.
- Tag your photos from you posts on Instagram with #ShowYourWorld and give me a shout out (@tinyexpats) and I will share them.
- We will share all the posts every 3rd Friday of a month in a round up!
You can check out previous posts and round ups here. Looking forward to reading all about your favourite places – show us your world!